Shiplap siding is everywhere…the internet, television, and even your neighbor’s house! In this blog, we will break down the pros & cons of shiplap siding, and why you should consider using it!
In the past shiplap siding was most commonly used on barns and sheds. If you have an upcoming project you may be looking for a material option and shiplap siding may be right for you.
If you do not know a lot about this wonderful siding option you may want to take a look at the pros & cons of shiplap siding.
Pros & Cons of Shiplap Siding
- Shiplap is very easy to work with and installing it is a breeze. Shiplap siding is cut to fit together flawlessly making it a top pick among DIY-ers.
- Shiplap siding is very versatile and can be used indoors or outdoors. Some of the new trends for shiplap siding are accent walls, backsplash, entryways, fireplaces, and built-ins. Because you can apply protective finish to shiplap siding to prevent moisture damage, it can even be used in bathrooms.
- Shiplap siding is very budget friendly costing much less than other types of wood siding.
- Shiplap siding can be installed vertically or horizontally depending on the look that you are after.
- A lot of homeowners find the shiplap siding is very hard to keep clean. Since it has deep grooves which gives it its signature look it can without regular cleaning collect dirt or dust.
- Although it is easy to install if not done correctly you can experience lifting which can lead to warping and rotting.
- Since shiplap siding has a very signature look it can make the outside of your home look traditional and non-dimensional.
- If you are using shiplap siding indoors you will want to take some time planning out the décor. Shiplap siding is not for every space or motif.
- Replacing damaged boards can prove to be a bit challenging. Since shiplap siding comes in large planks removing just a small section is not possible.
Despite the cons of using this material, shiplap is still a great option for siding in almost any situation! If you would like to use shiplap on your next project, but want to ask a few project specific questions, get in touch with us! Our experienced staff here at Rocky Mountain Forest Products would be happy to answer any and all of your shiplap siding related questions. Not only that, if you decided to use shiplap siding for your project, we here at Rocky Mountain Forest Products can proudly offer you true wholesale to public pricing, and ship nationwide!