Today’s decks and patios have come a long way over the past few years. In fact, they are now called “outdoor living spaces”. The design elements used to create these areas truly do “bring the inside out”. They are adorned with sofas, pillows, curtains, plants, and even fireplaces. You’ll find all of the comfortable amenities that you enjoy indoors, in your outdoor living room. Inside your home, the foundation for any room is the flooring and this is no different for your outdoor living space. Trex Decking is one of the top choices for homeowners, builders, and designers who are creating these areas. That is why we have compiled this blog: Designing a Trex Deck.
You can see for yourself by checking out the 2019 HGTV Dream Home online. It is nestled in Whitefish, Montana and features Trex Decking. This design is proof that your deck can really be an extension to your home and year-round, at that! Your Trex Deck is not just for the summer months. With fireplaces, fire pits, and heaters, you can comfortably enjoy the outdoors even in cold temperatures.
Outdoor Living Spaces with Trex Decking
Trex Decking is offered in three collections: European, Tropical, and Southern. All of these display luxurious color selections that are rich in character and beauty because of the deep authentic looking grain patterns. Trex Decking does not compare to any other composite decking brand.
Trex Decking will add an ageless footing for your outdoor living space. It is completely hassle free requiring no sanding, staining, or painting over the life of your deck. Trex Decking is also stain resistant, mold resistant, and fade resistant. Likewise, it is an eco-friendly choice because it is made of 95% recycled materials.
Trex also has customizable railing kits that will take your already amazing deck from wow to WOW!
Outdoor Living Spaces On A Budget
If you have looked at the elaborate decks featured on Trex.com you know they are far beyond what the average homeowner is looking for or can afford. The typical budget does not allow for multiple levels, intricate staircases, built-in seating, and other custom additions.
However, you can still achieve your dream of a functional, yet attractive outdoor living space without breaking the bank. Here are some tips!
- Approximately 2/3 of the cost of your deck will be the labor. Because Trex Decking is so easy to work with, you can safely and successfully install it yourself. Trex offers videos, installation guides, and customer service reps to use at your disposal.
- If you already have a wood deck or an early-generation composite deck that is sound in structure, there is no need to tear it out and start from scratch. You can simply use Trex Decking wood composite boards to resurface it. This will save you thousands of dollars.
- Keep it simple! Square and rectangle designs are much cheaper because they do not require additional product to account for waste. Straight cuts allow for use of the entire board. These simple configurations are another reason you can install if yourself because square and rectangle designs do not require special construction skills.
Trex is one of the leading composite decking materials today. Its unparalleled beauty cannot be surpassed with any other composite decking. Trex decking has deep wood-grain patterns that are the closest to real wood that your can get. This, coupled with the custom color palettes, leaves other composite decking in the dust. Even though Trex is built for decking, many people have begun using this incredible material for other projects (such as outdoor showers! ) Read on!
Most people would use Trex decking for these reasons alone, but the other benefits only make it better. Trex decking is completely hassle and maintenance free. It does not require staining, sanding, or painting. Trex decking is resistant to fading, cracking, scratching, and mold.
Furthermore, Trex decking is made from almost entirely recycled products, which makes it one of the eco-friendliest decking products you can find.
These are just some of the reasons that homeowners chose Trex decking time and time again. Because they have grown to love it so much, they have found some unique uses for their beloved Trex decking.
Because of its smooth feel, resistance to water, and ability to not splinter or crack, many homeowners are deciding to use Trex decking to build an outdoor shower.
Outdoor shower? you may ask! Yes, the are becoming more and more practical as homeowners are learning to appreciate their functionality.
Here are six reasons to love a Trex decking outdoor shower:
6 Reasons for Outdoor Showers
- If you have a pool, big or small, you need a Trex decking outdoor shower! This not only provides a quick and easy way for swimmers to clean up without tracking water into the house, it doubles as a convenient changing area.
- An outdoor shower also makes it less demanding to ask pool guests to rinse off before getting into the pool to keep it cleaner longer and the pH on point.
- Got kids? If so, then Trex decking outdoor shower is a great way to clean them up after rolling around in the grass or playing in the mud. This can be disastrous in your indoor bathroom but stress free in your Trex outdoor shower. No more hosing your kids off with the cold garden hose.
- Want to keep your pets clean without filling your indoor drains with hair? Outdoor showers are pet friendly and Trex decking is so easy to clean up! It is also much more comfortable for your pets than being doused in cold water.
- A Trex decking outdoor shower can be a lifesaver if you have a house full of guests. If you live in a warm climate, guests can get back to nature while showering outdoors. This is a unique and relaxing experience for them and will prevent everyone from fighting over the indoor bathrooms.
- Are you an avid gardener and/or landscaper? We all know how quickly we can be covered with dirt from head to toe while working in the yard. Just like excess water you do not want to track dirt through the house and clog your drains. An outdoor Trex decking shower makes for quick clean up and also prevents you from tracking allergens in the house after coming into contact with plants and shrubs.
Landscape Lighting Design
Trex Decking surpasses wood, early generation composite decks, and PVC. It has actually changed the way people enjoy the outdoors. Because Trex Decking allows you to create your deck piece by piece, you really feel like you are getting a completely custom deck. And because of that, your neighbors will not have the exact same deck which only adds to your homes value. Creating an inviting outdoor space is all about ambiance. Brilliant outside landscape lighting is the first step. Trex Decking offers collections of deck lighting and landscape lighting.
Incorporating a beautiful Trex deck into your backyard is the best way to enjoy the outdoors. You can not only entertain guests but to steal some quiet moments for yourself.
Adding lightning to your Trex deck is a must! It is not only functional but will add to the visual appearance of your deck. There are many benefits to investing in Trex Deck and Landscape Lights.
Safety and Security with Landscape Lighting
Because your Trex deck is going to become another living space, you will not just be using it for an afternoon BBQ. You and your guests will be enjoying it well into the night. Therefore, proper lighting is needed for your safety and theirs.
Trex Deck and Landscape Lighting is also a great deterrent to unwanted guests. If your home is well lit, they will be less likely to approach it.
Landscape Lighting & Aesthetics
Trex Deck and Landscape Lighting will immediately add ambiance to your home. Your entire backyard will become a world of its own, which is what you want in an outdoor living space.
Trex Deck and Landscape Lighting will not only provide romantic lighting for a quiet night in, but can also add some festivity to parties and get togethers.
Comfort Day or Night Using Landscape Lighting
Proper lighting brings the ability to use your deck year round, which only add to the investment.
Landscape Lighting Solutions
Trex Deck and Landscape light packages can easily be incorporated into a new deck or an existing one. They are unique, one of a kind and will add flair that other decks will not have.
All of the selections work with any of Trex Decking and Railing collections.
Make Landscape Lighting A Must
Because of the importance and visual appeal, make sure that you budget for lighting when planning your Trex deck.
Keeping the layout of your deck simple is the easiest way to reduce cost so that you can incorporate extras like lighting.
Landscape Lighting Options
- Rounded Path Lights
- Stepped Path Lights
- Well Lights
- Multifunction Lights
- Composite Post Cap Lights
- Aluminum Post Cap Lights
- Deck Rail Lights
- Wedge Deck Rail Lights
- LED Stair Riser Lights
- Recessed Deck Lights
Landscape Lighting Accessories
- Light Hubs
A wood deck just won’t do! Design your Trex Composite Deck today and be ready for spring! It’s just around the corner!
Trex Composite Decking has inspired many homeowners to make their backyards a relaxing oasis. This amazing product is not only visually appealing, it is incredibly functional and easy to use as well! One of the major factors in ease of installation for these decks is the Trex hidden fastening system. This is a far cry from the visible stainless steel deck screws that take away from the clean look of your deck.
In pursuit of the perfect deck use the Trex Hidden Fastening System!
If you use grooved-edge boards, the fastening system is used directly between the deck boards. This fastens them to the joist, leaving no visible deck screw heads on the surface of your Trex Deck. Using the Trex Deck Hidden Fastening System will ensure that you have the same amount of space between every board. This will add to the flawless look of your Trex Deck!
Hidden Trex Fastening System: The Universal Fastener
This self-measuring Trex Decking hardware features a stainless- steel deck screw already set in a fastener for extra durability and quick installation.
- One box covers 50 sq. ft.
- One bucket covers 500 sq. ft.
Hidden Trex Fastening System: Start Clip and Connector Clip
These are exclusive to Trex Decking and are installed around the perimeter of the deck. They come in black, making them easy to blend in.
- One bag of the Starter Clips covers 400 sq. ft.
- One box of Connector Clips covers 50 sq. ft.
- One bucket covers 500 sq. ft.
Hidden Trex Fastening System: Groove Cutter
Typical square edge boards require traditional deck screws for installation. But, with Trex Decking you have the option of using a groove cutter which will create the necessary underside groove into any board so that the Trex Decking Hidden Fastening System can be used.
Hidden Trex Fastening System: Gun Pail
This all in one system contain everything necessary for the Trex Decking Hidden Fastening System. This will cover a 500 sq. ft. section of Trex Deck.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Will The Trex Decking Hidden Fastener System Rust?
Absolutely not! They are made of stainless steel, which is highly resistant to water and the elements.
Is There A Secret To Attaching The First And Last Boards?
The Trex Decking Hidden Fastening System has a signature start/stop clip that make sure that the nail free surface is continuous.
What Are The Fasteners Made Of?
The Trex Decking Hidden Fastening System is made with stainless steel and is covered with a black oxide coating to reduce shine to ensure they are not visible.
What Kind Of Screws Do You Have To Use?
The Trex Decking Hidden Fastening System comes with the necessary screws.
How Does The Trex Decking Hidden Fastening System Work?
It is designed to attach to the bottom of the custom grooved edge of the Trex Deck boards. The fastener holds the edge of the decking board. The fastener is then attached to the deck support with the included screws. This makes a Trex Deck one of the quickest and easiest composite decks to install.
How Do I Use The Groove Cutter?
For Trex Accents or Trex Brasilia:
Using a sample board make a reference mark of ½” from the bottom of the board. Match the measurement on the groove cutter. Put the board face down and make the groove.
For Trex Contours:
Using a sample board make a reference mark of ½” from the bottom of the board. Put the bit in the groove cutter at 9/16” and make the groove.
The Trex Decking Hidden Fastener System is a one of a kind invention that makes difficult deck installation a thing of the past. A Trex Deck will be with you for years to come and will bring elegance and beauty to any backyard!
The best part about designing a deck for your backyard is choosing all of the aesthetics like lighting and hardware. Check out our other articles on Trex decking and the design process so you can put all of these guides together to help you through the entire process from start to finish. Of course, we are always here to help and have specialists that are educated on Trex Decking and can help answer any questions you may have. Give us a call today and start your deck renovation process!