We are wrapping our series with How to Choose Reclaimed Wood Siding with Part Three. In Part One, we discussed the history and acquisition of reclaimed wood siding, discussed the differences between faux and true reclaimed siding and talked about the benefits of purchasing reclaimed wood through our subsidiary, Rocky Mountain Reclaimed. In Part Two, we covered the brands Sustainable Lumber Company, Old World Timber, and RePlank. In this blog, we will be finishing up with Thermory, Montana Ghostwood, Forever Barnwood, and Coeur D’ Alene. Keep reading!
Our Remaining Reclaimed Wood Siding Products
Thermory- Faux Reclaimed Wood Siding
The thermal modifications used in the process to make Thermory products results in a durable, long-lasting product with a sophisticated and refined aesthetic. Their process utilizes only heat and steam to enhance the board and produces an incredibly durable product for use in homes and businesses.
Benefits of using Thermory
- Rot Resistant- Thermory will last outdoors for a minimum of 25 years and with very little maintenance or oils
- Stability- Compared to standard kiln-drying processes, the moisture content of Thermory is lower than standard kiln dried products by utilizing their thermal modification process
- High Fire Rating- Thermory has a Class B fire rating
- Less Formaldehyde- Thermal modification reduces the formaldehyde content at a greater rate than standard kiln-dried wood
- Termite Resistant- Termites were found to feed more heavily on the Southern Pine rather than the modified wood, as seen in test studies
Choose between the Thermory Benchmark Series and the Thermory Drift Series, depending on the look you are trying to achieve.
Montana Ghostwood- Faux Reclaimed Wood Siding
Montana Ghost Wood provides reclaimed wood siding products with the distinctive look and character of reclaimed wood with the performance of a new wood product. Contractors and homeowners enjoy reasonable pricing and ease of installation with this great product. This product is an excellent choice for the eco-conscious user. They are committed to using SFI and FSC certified lumber, beetle killed and forest fire killed timber in the production of Montana Ghost Wood products.
Why Should you use Montana Ghost Wood?
- Little to No Maintenance: This product will continue to weather more over time when exposed to sunlight, moisture and inclement weather, just like regular wood. A typical maintenance routine is recommended as you would take care of traditional wood siding.
- Exact Specs: Because of the way each board is cut, there is very little waste of product when installed.
- Little to No Defects: Defective boards are removed at each step throughout the manufacturing process. Compared to typical reclaimed wood, 30-70% of traditional reclaimed wood ends up being unusable due to rot, splits, and defects.
- Half the Price: This siding resembles the look of reclaimed wood at a cost of approximately half the price of true reclaimed wood.
- Recycle Waste: All shavings, chips, and sawdust from production are recycled into bedding or compost for local farms and ranches in Montana.
Colors and Finishes Available
- Choose from the colors- Bannack Brown, Silver City, Ruby River and Blackfoot
- Choose from the finishes- Circle Sawn Weathered and Hand Hewn
Forever Barnwood- Faux Reclaimed Wood Siding
Forever Barnwood is made of beautiful white pine from Wisconsin. It is kiln dried and individually hand processed into a variety of different products. Claim all of the advantages of reclaimed barnwood at a fraction of the cost with this faux reclaimed wood siding. Forever Barnwood is available in many standard sizes that are often not available in true reclaimed barnwood, which makes installation a breeze. They offer a number of lines including beams, mantles, shiplap, countertops, barn doors, and flooring.
Choose from their top 4 products:
- Rustic Barn Doors: Rustic Barn Doors from Forever Barnwood are a perfect addition to any residence or business. They offer many different door styles which allows you to create your own signature design. You also have the option to add a glass feature to the doors as well. No two doors are ever the same, because each door is hand built. Due to the fact that the doors are a full 2” thick, they will never warp. Check out their website for the available colors and sizes.
- 4 in 1 Shiplap: Check out this product for a twist on the classic shiplap siding profile. This product’s purpose is to give you a cleaner, more modern look that will still give the look you normally see with 100-year-old barnwood. It is called a 4-in-1 product because it can offer both a traditional nickel gap on one side and then a tongue and groove finish on the flip side. This shiplap product is offered in 8’ lengths and – 4.25” – 6.25” & – 8.25”. It comes in the colors of Traditional, Desert Burn, White Wash, Red Barn, Century Gray, and Patina Gray.
- Dimensional Lumber: All of the boards from Forever Barnwood have a true weathered appearance complete with a rustic feel and full of knots and characteristics. They are kiln-dried to add structural stability to the planks and boards. The dimensional lumber comes in a variety of sizes and colors. The colors include, Traditional, Desert Burn, White Wash, Red Barn, Century Gray, and Patina Gray.
- DIY Barnwood Box: This is a very popular product from Forever Barnwood. It is a product specifically designed for the DIY installer. It is a glue on product, which not only saves on other materials, but can be installed without any aid or construction knowledge. It is completely reversible with one side with the original circle saw marks and the other side with a weathered texture. Each box is completely usable, with no waste and each piece is cut to random lengths. Typically when using traditional lumber, you must account for a percentage of waste when estimating for your project. That is not the case with the DIY Barnwood Box
Coeur d’ Alene Wood- Faux Reclaimed Wood Siding
Coeur d’ Alene is proud to offer a patented process that has revolutionized the wood aging process. They are able to give it an authentic reclaimed look and feel through the accelerated weathering of the lumber, although it is a faux siding product. They are able to achieve this look on each piece of raw lumber without paints, stains, or other contaminants. The offer a 1×8 exterior shiplap product made out of Alaskan Yellow Cedar. This can be used outdoors and does not need to be sealed. They also supply their most popular product, Accent Wall in a Box.
Accent Wall In A Box
This is the perfect way to break up a large room, or to emphasize a particularly great architectural feature or accent wall.
- Actual 3/8” x 57/16” x 48”
- Nominal: /12” x 6” x 48”
- Square Footage Coverage: 25’ per box
- Face: Double Sided Vertical Band Sawn, Circular Sawn
Choose from 3 different color options:
- 14 Pieces 7 Colors in Brown, Gray and Charcoal Tones
- 14 Pieces 3 Colors in Light Medium and Dark Grey
- 14 Pieces 7 Colors in Light Medium and Dark Brown
This concludes our series on How to Choose Reclaimed Wood Siding! We’ve covered everything from the history and acquisition of reclaimed wood siding, the differences between faux and true reclaimed siding and talked about the benefits of purchasing reclaimed wood through our subsidiary, Rocky Mountain Reclaimed in Part One. In Part Two, we covered the brands Sustainable Lumber Company, Old World Timber, and RePlank. In this final Part Three, we finished up with Thermory, Montana Ghostwood, Forever Barnwood, and Coeur D’ Alene. Hopefully this series has been a good resource in helping you to understand and decide which reclaimed wood siding product is best for your next project. As always, feel free to reach out with any questions!