As your Denver Lumber Supplier, we want to wish you and your family a happy and safe 4th of July. With the staggering temperatures that Denver has been experiencing, we would like to take a minute and remind you of some summer heat safety tips for you and your yard!
Denver Lumber Supplier
This weekend, most of us have plans to enjoy our landscaping and our decking in Denver by having BBQ’s and outdoor gatherings with friends and family. It is easy to get caught up in the fun only to be left with heat stroke later that night. We have compiled some suggestions, tips, and products that can make bearing the summer heat a little easier.
Here are some things to remember:
- Schedule outdoor activities and parties in the late afternoon when it is cooler and the sun in not directly overhead
- Pace yourself and cut down on strenuous physical activities
- Stay hydrated
- Add misting ropes to your decks and patios to keep you and your guests cool
- Make sure that built in seating on your decks have cushions to prevent those who enjoy it from getting burned
- Make sure children keep on footwear while they are enjoying the festivities
- When planning your party menu, choose light and cool meals to keep guest comfortable
- If possible offer guests a cool place to retreat to inside for periods of cooling
- Add umbrellas, awnings, and pergolas to your decks and patios to offer some shade for you and your guests.
- Consider using an outdoor fan along with the other tips
Your Vegetation is Suffering Too:
Just like us your flowers and plants are severely affected by the summer heat. Mulching and built in drip systems can help but there is still more you can do.
- Not only is watering essential, but correct watering is key. Avoid watering your landscape in the middle of the day when it will most likely evaporate before it is absorbed. Water in the early morning or late evening when the sun won’t wreak havoc on your hard work.
- Do not overwater. When we are working hard to stay cool, we often think that our foliage needs extra watering which is not the case. The regular watering schedule that you keep is fine to maintain when done at the aforementioned times of day.
- Provide some shade. For plants, shrubs, and flowers that need some extra protection there are lightweight tarps that can be staked over the greenery to prevent sun burning.
- Choosing heat resistant plants. Even though there are a variety of plants that love the heat, there are some that are more able to withstand the temperature. When first designing your backyard, keep in mind how much exposure that your yard gets from the sun. Along with this, plan for times of extreme heat and only use plants that are the most resistant in high exposure areas.
Pets are Part of the Family Too!
It is important to always consider your pets safety and tolerance to heat when to temperatures are skyrocketing. Here some things to implement into your pet care to keep them comfortable and happy.
- Keep pets away from barbecues
- Provide places for shade and water if your pet is outside for an extended period of time
- Keep in mind that just like our feet paws are sensitive to heated decks, patios, and asphalt
- If your dog can be groomed, keep them free of excess hair to help them regulate in the heat
Have a safe and happy holiday from your Denver Lumber Supplier!